Friday, May 12, 2006

Decisions, decisions

So I posted on this fucking thing yesterday and when I hit submit the puter locked up and I lost everything. I will definately do a copy before I hit submit this time.

So...I saw the surgeon and the oncologist down here-Dr. Uppal. The surgeon was impressed with my healing and told me I could go back to work the 1st of June. I am going to be looking forward to it in a way and not to forward to it in another way, it will be nice to have some normalcy in my life, however, I will be starting chemo, on or before I go back to work. That is going to be a partially all day thing with a going back and forth for like 2-3 days to the doc every other week, then the side affects, which I am subconsciously terrified of...nausea, vomiting, diahhrea, low blood counts, sensitivity to cold, hair loss, etc.

Dr. Uppal stated that I could have it done down here, and he would do a 6 month regimen of Folfox-that's Oxaliplatin, 5FU and Leucovorin. I won't be getting any Avastin, however, the Oxaliplatin in platinum based and considered high risk in terms of fertility, the other two are considered low risk, but if you combine the two, there is a high chance my period won't resume. Dr. Uppal strongly urges me to go and talk to an RE, so Dawn and I have an appt for May 17th to talk with them regarding my eggs and the potential of them. In fact, I received the information packet in the mail today. My insurance only has a 10K maximum for lifetime benefit, I shouldnt' say only because it's not like it's nothing, but here is what anticipated costs are at this point for just harvesting, fertilizing and freezing my eggs that would become embryos-10500 for invitro of the egg, then 1800 to inject the sperm or ICSI as they call it, 360 for storage for one year of the frozen embryo, 500 for sperm, then there is ultrasounds, medications like clomid and of course let's not forget the blood work. Dawn's insurance on the other hand-does cover up to 100K for a lifetime benefit and the use of IVF for up to 3 times per birth, however, I don't know what stipulations her benefits have on them. Thank God mine doesn't require me to be married or anything like that. Now we have to decide what to do among sperm donors-we were all set on 2175 up until now, because he is black, he looks like Dawn, and we thought he was a good fit, until I found out that his mum died of colon ca too, now that's me, my mom and his mom, I have a 50% chance of passing this onto my offspring. I talked with the genetics counselor over the phone today-she is fabulous btw-she said yeah I wouldn't want to do that unless they could offer me preimplantation genetic testing, which the fertility center does off, but to make it even more painful, this donor doesn't have IVF available, I don't know what the sperm bank offers either, and on top of it, how much money would it cost?

But in good news-the insurance company will pay for 100% of my genetic testing which is wonderful news-saving us about 2K.

Then we could use Dawn's eggs of course, but that is chosing another donor and we have one in mind-2287 however he doesn't have much product left. So we need to decide SOON.
I hate this, having the ability to have children taken away from me, or not necessarily, but what mother would want to bring a child into this world that could potential have a dreadful disease? They would have it at a much younger rate as well, also, even if I didn't use donor 2175. We've chosen 2287 for Dawn, he's white and looks a little like me sort of, however, there isn't much of his product left like I said.

On to more dreadful news, my father had his petscan done and they think everything is gone in the lung-at least this is coming from my almost 71 year old father who cannot hear or fathom very well what the doc is telling him and btw never ever does he ask questions-but they saw a spot in his colon, so they suspect cancer. I am going to find out what the uptake on it is tomorrow, that way I can figure out some stuff for myself. They told him regardless he has to have more chemo, it was just starting to make him sick and make his hair fall out too. He looked really earlier this week when I saw him on Tuesday.

I want to go to a NIN concert on 6/13/06, so I think I am going to buy the tickets tomorrow. My niece Dawn is supposed to come with us, I asked Mini and Mike but Mike won't talk to me so that would make it sort of odd if we did go, with them, huh?

Goodnight everyone.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home