Tuesday, May 30, 2006

Mediport Day


I had my mediport put in today. I wasn't scared, taken back, or anything, just ready to have it done. I walked in, same old, same old, what's your name? Do you know what you're here for? I wanted to say, more importantly, do you know what I am here for, afterall I did come here ( I mean I know why they ask these questions, to make sure you're of sound mind and body, but c'mon, give me a break sometimes). Then they wanted a urine, to make sure I am not pregnant. I told them I was a lesbian, they stated this is just a formality, I stated the fact that I was a lesbian wasn't (I mumbled this under my breath, I didn't want to seem like a smartass right off the bat). I again, understand, why they have to do these tests, but it STILL irks me.

I had to tell 5 people what I was having done today, the nurse that took me back, the nurse that tried three times to get a vein, but then decided to call the anesthesiologist and he tried twice to get a vein and finally got one in my wrist, the other anes. doc, the actual doc that was doing my surgery and the nurse in the OR. The one doc asked who Dawn was, when she was sitting there beside me while I was waiting. I stated she was my partner, he asked me what kind of business we were in, I said the lesbian business, he then caught on and made a funny back and said is that near Lusby? (which is a town a county over-I thought that was cute, he seemed like a chipper happy guy).

The port is sore and is much different from dad's it is about the size of a dime on the outside and pushes out above the skin a little, and on the inside it is about the size of a silver dollar. I was only there for about 4 hours total round trip. I know the pic looks like that of a breast or deformed nipple or something. I finally took off the large banages, I should have went up the freakin' road to PG where my father had his, I have a 2 inch scar above my right breast, very visible, and you can see the port line under the skin, it looks like a black line about the diameter of a spaghetti noodle that runs almost up to my neck then disappears, the port sticks out substantially. I wish I could push on it, and it could be like a beam me up scottie thing, but I don't think that is going to happen. I am not happy with the outcome.

1 Comments:

Blogger Sacha said...

I think I would have freaked out and refused the urine test if I were you. Seriously.

The mediport should keep you from being stuck over and over and over. Esp. considering that you sounds like a hard stick.

Hang in there kiddo!

5/30/2006 6:39 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home